Tuesday, July 28, 2009

That's a Big Bag Baby!

Okay, I finished the Chubby Charmer Bag and I want to share a few photos that I took while making it as well as some tips. This bag is so cool! You can actually fit a 13 x 9 casserole dish in the bottom and still have room to throw in a few bags of chips or maybe some beach towels and off to a picnic you go!
You start out with 48 charm squares. Arrange them in a pleasing manner.
Tip: Don't stress it...Batiks are always pleasing no matter how you arrange them!


Get all of your supplies together. Lining, fusible batting, Chubby Charmer pattern and magnetic snaps.

Assemble the bag according to pattern instructions.
Tip: Add the magnetic snaps (or velcro) before you put the lining in the bag.

After the lining was in I was turning the bag right side out and I noticed that it sort of looked like a frog. I just couldn't resist sharing that with you :) You can see my kitty helpers in the background hard at work as usual...
And there you have it! A gorgeous Batik Bag! But wait...

With the magnetic snaps on the sides undone look how BIG this bag opens up!
And for a little perspective, I put a 13 x 9 casserole dish inside. See, plenty of room to spare!

We have Batik Charm packs available at the shop in Green (as seen here), Blue, Pink/Purple and Brown/Golds. All of them would make a beautiful bag I'm sure. Also, consider using the Portabello Market Charm Pack or the Thimbleberries Charm Pack for a more homey look or come by the shop to check out our wide selection of Charm Packs. Oh...you could make a 30's bag, a Christmas bag, a patriotic picnic bag or maybe an overnight bag with soft floral fabrics. Just remember, you need 48 charm squares.
Have fun sewing!
Tracy
Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Angie said...

I wish I knew someone that was getting married. This bag along with a pyrex dish set would be a perfect gift. Darn, I guess I will store this idea.

Quilting by the Bay said...

Oh yeah, it is an awesome bag! Not just for the casseroles though! It would be great for traveling, or for a diaper bag, or to carry your quilts in...oohhh the possibilities! :)
I made this bag as shop sample for the store and then I was sad when I had to give it up! It feels so nice and sturdy! Love it! Tracy