Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Carry Me Bag


I made another bag! This one was a lot of fun and would be a great tote for taking to classes. It's 18" long so you can fit some rulers in there and it's nice and sturdy!
All you need is the Carry Me Bag pattern by Bunny Hill Designs, a Patisserie Honey Bun and some basic bag construction supplies. You know interfacing, Timtex, and a few pretty embellishments.
One Moda Honey Bun will make 3 of these bags, so make one for yourself and a couple of friends.
The first step is to lay out the strips in an order that you like for the outside of the bag.
Be careful when pressing your seams it's really easy to get tucks on these narrow strips!
Constructing the outside of the bag can get a little tricky on the corners, but it's okay. Just use a lot of pins and you will end up with a fabulous curved seam! The Glass Head Silk Pins are my favorite! Joan recommended them to me and now I don't know how I ever lived without them.

Make your lining and pockets. You can choose how many pockets you want on each side. I made two pockets on one side and three on the other.

The next part can get a little tricky working with Timtex in the bag construction. So you might want to call in an assistant.
Unfortunately, I became very involved in this part of constructing the bag and forgot to take photos and my assistant turned out to not be very helpful with photography.
Just remember when working with Timtex you are the boss. You are in charge of the Timtex. Don't be afraid to bend it if you need to when sewing pieces together. It's will flatten back into shape and when you are done you will have a super sturdy bag that you will love!

Next add your binding making sure to keep your button loop and handles out of the way while you are sewing.


Sew ribbons on the sides of the bag and tie into a pretty bow.
All done! Load it up with supplies and off to class you go! :)
I used the Patisserie Honey Bun for this bag, but I think the Aviary Honey Bun would also make a really beautiful bag. I've got my rulers, rotary cutter, scissors, Best Press, pattern and a Layer Cake in there and room to spare. I Love it!

p.s. If you were at the 2009 Quilter's Paradise Retreat you may have gotten a sample Honey Bun in your goodie bag that is enough to make one of these bags. You will need to just add a few extra inches to your lining yardage requirement for handles and binding.
Happy Sewing!
Tracy
Share/Bookmark

No comments: